THIS ISN’T YOUR TYPICAL CAMPGROUND. Acadia East Campground is a rustic, self-serve, tent campsite built for those that want to get away to the great outdoors. Acadia East Campground opened in July of 2018 as a primitive, backcountry-style, tent campground geared toward those seeking a more rustic wilderness camping experience.
- There is NO other campground like this in the entire United States. Acadia East is the first self-serve commercial wilderness campground of its kind. That means we’re still evolving.
- We are NOT part of Acadia National Park. We are a commercial campground. Click here if you’re looking to stay INSIDE the park (sites are usually booked full months in advance.)
- We are located 10 minutes from the Schoodic section of Acadia National Park, and 40 minutes from the Mount Desert Island/Bar Harbor section. Acadia has multiple sections.
- We are a self-serve tent campground. We don’t have an office or full-time staff at the campground. This is intentional.
- We have a parking area and information board at the campground entrance.
- We have a vault privy-style restroom on the property.
- Public showers are available on Mount Desert Island. The shower facility at the Schoodic Marine Center is no longer open.
- Each of our sites lies on a main trail. They range from 50 feet to 300 feet from the parking area.
- We understand that every one has different expectations when camping. Please be aware that our wilderness campsites may not be the best fit for everyone. Knowing the physical limitations or expectations of your entire group before booking will help to ensure a more positive experience.
- Our campsites are named after locations in and around Acadia. For instance “Cadillac Mtn,” and “Thunder Hole.” These campsites are not located on Cadillac Mountain or Thunder Hole. No campsites exist at those places.
- Finally, please review our booking and cancellation policy.
Thank you! We look forward to seeing you soon.